Friday, September 25, 2020

Photography thoughts

 



The photography always was there. I wasn't always sure
if I'll do anything with it or not, but it always was there.
I received my first camera when I was 8 years old. It was
a pocket camera, a kind of camera which was popular at
the '70 and early '80 of the 20 century. My second camera
was the same. Both of those cameras used by my sisters
before me. My sister Gali who's grown up from me at nearly
a dacade learned photography at a yound age while all cameras
were on films and no one imagined digital cameras. I used to be 
her model when she needed for homeworks. Yeah, I'm a weirdo 
who loved both sides of the camera.

For years I was thinking of doing something with photography,
but I was afraid. Art is so personal. I was afraid of what would
forigen people will see in my photos. I was afraid to expose too much.
I was working at other things, but the thoughts if to do something
with the photography or keeping it as a hobby stayed.
Then I came back to Tel Aviv after a long pause in another city.
I had a feeling that I must learn something. I started to learn
flamenco. I started learning too late, I don't practice enough
and I'm not sure that I have enough tallent anyway for
being a proffesional dancer, but.... Accept having some
wonderfoul people that got into my life and became really
good friends of mine - I became more sure in myself
and who I am. After watching an art exhibition with
my sister and my mother - I decided it's time. My sister Gali
connected me to a curator who got me in to the first
exhibition I took a part at. The comments that I received made
me think why didn't I do it before.
For years I took a part at group exhibitions, autodidact and
afraid that people will find out that I still use smateurs' cameras.
Then I wanted to take some dance photos like I saw from some
other photographer. I got my first proffesional camera. And
it didn't take long till I got into dance photography workshops.
And got myself into a music magazine and taking photos
at rock and indie rock shows. And taking photos of my
friends from the flamenco. I started learning on regular base
and I still go for workshops to growing up in my ability and be more proffesional.

Now I'm sure it's more than a hobby. It's still taking a part in exhibitions
(I got back to it recently), which is already much more than a hobby.
I try to make a living of it. And it's a part of life, like air for breathing. 
Now not only that I have no fear - I want to know what do people think of
my photography and what do people see in it, even if it's a part of my soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment