Sunday, April 19, 2020

Imogen Cunningham

Well, let's talk about Imogen Cunningham. A female photographer from the 20th century. And my thoughts of being a female photographer.

When I was a photographer who does only artistic style I didn't notice it. When I started with commercial photography - it became difficult.

I do a lot of stage arts photography. Now I can't because of the Coronavirus, but in a normal way I do. I took some workshops of dance photography and started taking photos of my friends from the flamenco. At this part I still cool with it. And got myself into a music magazine and started to take photos at many shows, accept two - all the shows that I went to for the magazine didn't have a connection to flamenco. I started to find out that people loves it till they use the photos that I took for promoting some other shows of them, and some flamenco workshops. At Israel and Spain. Well, I took some photos at shows without a connection to the magazine. Still at the magazine were men and women photographers. I was one of the 4-5 photographers which were the most activated, so at this part I didn't notice yet. But.... Getting into the magazine was difficult. The manager saw the flamenco photos and didn't understand why do I try. So I made my first show photography for a musician that I knew through Facebook. I sent the photos to the musician and to the manager of the magazine. The musician said it's pretty and thanked me. The manager told me what's wrong, which was everything. A day or two after that I found myself in a secret Facebook group of the magazine and got by e-mail the shows that was possible to take photos at. The manager found all the time reasons to be mad at me. And it took me for a long time till I received to get a show from abroad, even if it's a place that I took photos at - no. It wasn't for me. Were two men photographers that looked like his favorites. And I got many times some private massages from the manager made me sad. Lots of hate to my work. I knew that every time I was happy and published my happiness at Facebook that musicians loved my photos till using it for promotions - next show the manager will write me a private massage to tell me how terrible are my photos. After a year and half - I left. The manager didn't even notice (or at least so he said) although I was writing him an e-mail two weeks before. Looks like that the magazine died since then. The two men photogrpahers - one became the official photographer of an important music festival that happens once a year at Israel. And made at least one CD photo. The other one takes photos of stadium shows. He started working with at least two companies who bring live shows from abroad. Me? Although people loves my photos - musicians don't hurry to take me. Many times they accept only if I'll do it for free. Not all, but it happen most of the times. I made a try with one company who brings stadium shows from abroad. Didn't even answer me. And few days after I wrote them - I found out that the man photographer just started to work with them and his first work with them will be a show that I wanted to take some photos.... And I still looking for a job. I met a woman who helps small and medium business. She had many usefull things to say, but many weirds as well. Once she told me that no one wants photos of live shows. Really? Looks like it's more no one wants to pay to the photographer....

And from time to time I find myself in a fight to recieve photography credits that I deserve. Too many "forget" about it. Once someone even gave photography credit on a photo that I took to a man photographer... And all who has the problems with credits are women. What's wrong with you girls? Because of you feminism is still needed. And after that will be someone who will tell me that I won't be rich because of photography credit. One also said that if she will be pleased she will recommend. Sure, but I will need to show some photos, won't I? Some do recommend on me, but it still doesn't give enough work.

It isn't the only thing. There are few more things. Food photography. I love it, but looks like that again - men photographers has much more work in it. Most of the women who take food photography do it mostly for their own food blogs. I wanna try also sport photography. Accept that I don't know where to start - I don't remember that I heard of women who do sport photography. Once I was in a lecture of a sport photogrpaher. I was the only woman there. Fashion? There are women who do fashion photography, but most are men. I still didn't even find a way of being an assistant of fashion photographers.

I almost started to think that's something wrong with me. Almost. So, the photography school that I went to has started with live lecures/lessons through Facebook. At some I watch. One of the men teachers gave a wonderful lecture about black and white photography. He showed a bit of his work, but most was about past photographers. He didn't show her works, but mentioned Imogen Cunningham. The teacher said that she was good as the men photographers of her time, but she was a woman. Because Imogen Cunningham was a woman - she didn't get the attention that she desereved. He said that sady - women photographers still don't get enough attention.

I looked for photos taken by Imogen Cunningham. I wasn't sure if the name really rings a bell or not. I found out that she took couple of great photos of Frida Kahlo (my love) that I knew before and didn't know who took the photos. Many other photos are also really beautiful. Well, and a male photographer said that Imogen Cunningham didn't get the attention because she was a woman. And it still happens to female photographers.

I hope one day to het enough attention. And for now, some photos by Imogen Cunningham:





























No comments:

Post a Comment